Friday 26 August 2011

On the jabberwocky

Am I allowed to diverge from my main topic? Please? Since all I'm doing now is waiting for Himself to afford me some time time to choose hedge shrubs and the Council to grant me the go-ahead so I can start building. Champing at the bit has nothing on my eagerness ... Anyway. Just wanted to ask: why do some people feel it necessary to fill every little silence with jabberwocky (aka chatter, holus bolus or flimflam)? I'm all for an extended conversation, especially when there is much sentence interruptus by excitable partakers. I am, probably, the person to be voted most likely to engage in animated chatter of an evening at the pub, Merlot to hand and witty banter (erm, well, that's what I think two glasses in, anyway) streaming about the table.

But am I alone in thinking that there are moments for silence, moments that really do not need to to filled unless it's by something interesting, profound, funny or uplifting? I'm talking about people who feel the need to say something - anything, in fact. "Oh" is my personal nemesis: it brings me out in a cold sweat. What, exactly, does "oh" add to the conversation or my own enlightenment? As far as I can see, if you have nothing interesting to add, don't say anything. Don't be afraid of not commenting - surely it's not expected? For example, I say "It's raining." Do you really have to say "Yes, it is" or (worse) launch into a diatribe on the local climate? If I'm washing a pot, do you need to say "Oh, you're washing the pot"? Why say anything at all (unless it's "I'll do that for you")?

What do you say to that?

No comments:

Post a Comment