Friday 12 August 2011

Anddddddd ... we're OFF!

On Wednesday morning, a mere four months after we first put in our offer on our site, we finally started work on it. Picture the scene: Smallish triangle of land totally overgrown with unruly hedgerow plants, self seeding sycamores and bramble shoots so long they'd grown in circles. Himself had cleared a swathe a couple of months ago using a large hedge trimmer - took him four hours to clear a metre-wide pathway. It took my builder and his JCB just 20 minutes to obliterate the entire bramble patch. How cool is that?

Anyway, a day later and the small gang had ripped, cut, sawn, chipped and dug this small patch of panoramic mayhem into a relatively level, completely bare piece of earth. And can I picture my future home on this spot? NOW I can! Tomorrow I'm taking my tape measure, tent pegs and spool of string and I'm gonna stake me out a dwelling.

Of course, all this thrill doesn't come without its downside. We were treated to several askance looks and a few choice comments once the hedgerow had been removed. Hopefully, a perky newsletter informing the neighbours of our plans with the promise of the imminent planting of a healthy, attractive, native, wildlife-encouraging hedgerow will be enough to get them on side. Once I'd explained that we're not, in fact, rich developers of the last wedge of land in Shenley Brook End and that we plan to build a family home, they seemed placated.

Never easy, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment