Wednesday 30 November 2011

Wev

I learned a new word on Sunday: wev. The shortest possible form of the ubiquitous and highly underrated "whatever", or "wa'eva" in Bri'ain. In one short utterance, my life has changed. Because "wev", this house is, undoubtedly, going to be built.

I arrived back from South Africa yesterday morning (did you notice I'd gone?) to a steroid-charged wind and icy rain. My first thought was this: "Oh my goodness, why did I leave SA?" (It's summertime there; need I elaborate?) The second thought was this: "My house! My house!" We're running on a schedule tighter than Madge's abs and have literally not a day to spare if the weather turns nasty. Which is hilarious considering the time of year, but I'm notorious for living on the edge. So little wonder I was panicking about the progress of the timber frame erection.

But do you know what? Despite yesterday's tempest, the lovely people at Lowfield not only delivered the frame parts - and they are, I can assure you, many - but by the end of today a large portion of the frame is already up. Which serves to remind me that "wev" happens, my house is being built. It is! How frabjous is that? Great decision to go for timber frame over labour-intensive and weather-dependent traditional blocks: in just days the skeleton of the house will be installed. The roofer's organised, as is the brickie and everything else.

So, lovely Bri'ish weather (not to mention - although I shall - cash flow headaches), I say to you: Bring it on. Because, "wev", it's happening.

Check these out:

No comments:

Post a Comment