Sunday 1 January 2012

Happy New Year!

Yes, yes, I do realise it's a little late but time hath flown.

Frabjous start to 2012 in the form of a delightful party thrown by my friends Sarah and Nick - the ultimate hosts - and shared with me by my twin sister (who surprised me in a rather frabjous way by popping over the continental divide for a Christmas treat and a lot of Australian wine), small people sneaking in and out to join in enthusiastically and superbly with the karaoke and dancing (a la X Box), and rather a lot of wine. No resolutions made, no regrets but many lessons learned in 2011 on which I hope to rely in order to make 2012 a good one.

I also discovered the following last year:
- I have the best husband ever known to mankind (hold the comments - it's my blog and I'll brag if I want to) who is not only a constant rock on which I tend to lean very heavily (and that's even pre-Christmas pig-outs) but is a talented and very welcome contributor to both the project management of our build and the practical bits; he sees things I would never see, is a willing and able chippie - he installed our flat roof, people! - and took over the entire shindig (and that includes endless, seemingly insurmountable problems) for most of the season, during which I was distracted by (see below), school plays, Christmas prep yada yada
- glee! - thanks to my twin sister (afore-mentioned) who made the "unreality" introduction that has spanned two years and made my entertainment world (and yes, I know I sound culturally deprived - I am ... any takers to be my concert-going partner?)
- second guess even the most experienced bricklayers, architects and structural engineers
- you can get discounts by asking nicely
- you can make serious mistakes project managing a new build with absolutely no experience whatsoever
- you can't ignore any offers of help, particularly child minding and cooking
- my children - despite being ignored in favour of bargain-hunting, site visits and long telephone calls and being fed a steady diet of fishcakes and pasta, not necessarily simultaneously - are forgiving and (apparently) still love me
- Milton Keynes Council's Planning Department people are very slow but not out to get you
- wine is a temporary but incredibly welcome relief from the constant pressure
- my followers have boosted my self confidence more than I can say

Okay, I'll stop now. Have a frabjous year!

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year to you too! I hope it's a great house building year for you :- )

    ReplyDelete