Sunday 13 May 2012

Out of the mouths of babes

One of the very many reasons I really like my son, and enjoy spending time with him, is that he is a wise soul. My greatest wish for my children is for them to truly understand the meaning of being unique, being their own people. There are few sights more horrific to me than that of a gang of clones (i.e. the popular girl leading a pack of wannabes, girls who are neither themselves nor the popular girl, almost as though they were living between two states of being) and no words I want to hear less than "But, Mummy, I have to wear this top/eyeshadow/nose ring because everyone is wearing it."

But this morning, we were listening to the honeyed Warbler rendition of Pink's 'Raise Your Glass' and my boy asked me what it was all about. I told him: "In short, it's an encouragement to celebrate being you, no matter how different you might feel from everyone else or how much others might call you a 'freak'." His answer? "But, Mum, I thought everyone in the world was unique so does that mean that everyone gets to celebrate?"

Nine years old and got it in one. Now let's just hope that it sticks, and even rubs off on the grown-ups of this crazy, mixed up world.

No comments:

Post a Comment