Thursday 2 February 2012

Brrrrrrrr

Monty Python tells us always to look on the bright side of life. Despite the tune's catchiness, it's an exhortation I frequently ignore, choosing instead to wallow in self pity and imagine the worst. That way, I'm well prepared should the worst happen, and pleasantly surprised if it doesn't.

To be fair, this state of mind is prevalent only at this time of year. We're four months into winter (a season classed not by month as per my son's logic, but by the reluctant packing away of strappy sandals and the donning of closed shoes, coats and - inevitably, despite weeks of denial - scarves and gloves) and I'm officially depro. That's the technical term for permission to consume vats of wine, the lion's share of my fabulous brandy-rich Christmas cake, and the entire British stock of chocolate.

How else does one cope with feeling cold ALL THE TIME? How do YOU cope? Not you, ric-rac, Mrs Eternal Optimism. And don't any Durbanites DARE comment on 'winter'. Ha! But seriously, I'm counting the days till March (28 ... darn leap year) and the miraculous dawn of temperatures in double figures. For once, my gloom has nothing to do with OPH. Yes, we're delayed slightly - the brickies won't come till it's milder - but on the whole things aren't really affected by the weather. Three heaters to warm the interior means we're on track with the screeding today - AND my faithful helpers, Dave and Marc, are able to work in a little less discomfort. No, my gloom has everything to do with the fact that I just cannot get my hands warm. Perhaps North Face should invent gloves of the same material they use for the fantastic coats. Body is warm. Legs are warm. Head is warm, even if nose burns a little in the wind. Even feet are warm thanks to M&S thermal socks (I know - the glamour of it all!) ... but hands? They're the bane of my life. Today I took all the frozen black bags and other builders' debris to the dump. One site: clear. One pair of hands: frostbitten.

Perhaps I should just chop them off; winter would be a lot happier. Although, on the bright side (see? I can look there once in a while) at least the frozen ground is no longer muddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment